- Messa da Requiem • Concert • 21.08.21
- La Forza del Destino • Opera • 16.09.21 > 01.10.21
- Master class • Concert • 10.10.21
- Eugene Oneguin • Opera • 22.10.21 > 30.10.21
- Lucia di Lammermoor • Opera • 19.11.21 > 30.11.21
- Ursule et Hirsute • Young public • 18.11.21 > 29.11.21
- Juan Diego Flórez • Concert • 25.11.21
- Aleksandra Kurzak & Roberto Alagna • Concert • 05.12.21
- Figaro, Le Barbier du Bois Joli • Young public • 13.12.21 > 22.12.21
- Otello Ossia Il Moro di Venezia • Opera • 19.12.21 > 31.12.21
- Love and Death • Concert • 16.01.22
- Mese Mariano / Suor Angelica • Opera • 26.01.22 > 06.02.22
- Le Dernier Sorcier • Young public • 25.01.22 > 05.02.22
- Nadine Sierra • Concert • 12.02.22
- Rigoletto • Opera • 03.03.22 > 13.03.22
- Mignon • Opera • 01.04.22 > 09.04.22
- Sinfonia Eroica • Dance • 15.04.22 > 16.04.22
- Don Giovanni • Opera • 13.05.22 > 21.05.22
- Hulda • Concert • 15.05.22
- Simon Boccanegra • Opera • 17.06.22 > 25.06.22
My dear Spectators,
Song, music, emotions, revelations, reuniting: this is what we want to offer you for the 2021-2022 season at the Opéra Royal de Wallonie-Liège. Devised by our departed Stefano Mazzonis di Pralafera as an outstanding festival of great works, prominent names and excellent rising talents, this season will hopefully be, first and foremost, a time when our public can return to our performance hall.
As the musical director, I decided to open the season with the Messa da Requiem by Mozart, which will be dedicated to all the victims of this global health crisis, all those who either suffered directly from this infectious disease or from its psychosocial or economic impact. This Requiem is laden with symbols, and will be for all of us – artists and public alike – a time to pay tribute to those who have grieved.
The 2021-2022 season can then begin. Ten great operas including eight new productions will be presented, among which the very rare Mese Mariano by Umberto Giordano which will be coupled by Suor Angelica, Otello by Gioachino Rossini and Mignon by Ambroise Thomas, which have never been performed here. Then, a return to some great works which have been absent too long such as Eugène Onéguine by Tchaïkovski and Simon Boccanegra by Verdi, alongside these grand titles which never cease to please: La Forza del Destino, Lucia di Lammermoor, Rigoletto and Don Giovanni.
A sumptuous programme of concerts is also in store which will highlight soloists such as Juan Diego Flórez, Nadine Sierra or the couple formed by Aleksandra Kurzak and Roberto Alagna, or the Orchestra with music by Richard Wagner and Richard Strauss. The Orchestra will moreover be the protagonist of a renewed Sinfonia Eroica, the emblematic ballet by Michele Anne De Mey.
Last but not least, for our young audience (4 years and up), three performances are on the programme. These are part of numerous opera-initiation activities, which clearly illustrate how the Opéra Royal de Wallonie-Liège truly aspires to be welcoming and accessible to everyone. Another good example is our long-standing broadcasting policy to watch performances in streaming, on television and with VOD, which thrived during this past season, using our own media platform.
As you can see, the upcoming season is full of promises with more details in the following pages. I eagerly await the reopening, to once again delight in our performances and distinguish our dear public. In the meantime, I heartily thank you all for your sincere interest in the Opéra Royal de Wallonie-Liège.